By Elise Eyears, Account Associate
Twitter is a tool that every business needs to be using. It is powerful for companies of all shapes and sizes to reach their customers, promote their brand, and connect with other players in their industry. So, if you're not sure how to get started, we're here to tell you how!
First, you need to create an account. Head over to https://twitter.com/ and follow the prompts to 'sign up' as a user.
Once you've become a user, you are ready to tweet!
So, let's decipher the 'tweet'.
- Tweet: A tweet is a message posted on Twitter, consisting of 140 characters or less. It can contain text, photos, links and videos. It's important to note that whenever you include any of these elements, they will be counted as a link and automatically take up to 22 characters.
- Hashtag: A hashtag is any word or phrase without spaces that begins with the # symbol. People use hashtags to categorise conversations and make it easier to find all of the content related to a given topic. Click on a hashtag to go directly to the search results for that term.
- Reply: Click 'reply' to respond to any tweet. Replying to a tweet is a great way to grow industry relationships by joining in conversations with followers.
- Retweet: A retweet allows you to take a tweet from someone else and tweet it to your own followers. This can be done directly using the 'retweet' button or you can add your own message and include the letters 'RT' ahead of the information you are retweeting.
- Favourite: Favouriting is a way of acknowledging or showing your appreciation for someone's tweet. It can also be a useful tool to bookmark a particular tweet to easily find again later.
- Link: Include links to any web content - your company website, blog posts, news articles, documents, photographs or videos.
- Mention: Bring a tweet to another user's attention by incuding their @username in your message. Use this tool to ask someone else a question, to thank them or to simply direct them to content.
What should I talk about on Twitter?
Strike a balance between:
- What your audience wants to hear
- What promotes your business
Focus on how your products and services benefit your customers.
At times, the world of social media can be a little overwhelming. At SAS Media, we can help take the stress off your shoulders by assisting you in delivering the social media strategy your business needs. We believe preparation is the key to avoiding social media mishaps – failing to plan is planning to fail in the online world. That’s why we help our clients understand and address potential threats before they arise. At SAS Media, we help our clients understand why they should post, as well as what,when, how and where to post. We help them create content that is widely appealing and relevant to their target audience. We devise strategic social media management plans and incorporate them into our training workshops. Most of all, we are always on call, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help each and every one of our clients navigate the world of social media.